Monday, March 26, 2012

Drift Creek Falls Trail

Saturday, March 24, 2012

First, how to get there.  Here is a description from a hiking website:
From Highway 101 just south of Lincoln City turn east on Drift Creek Rd. After 1.6 miles at a T turn right on Drift Creek Road. In .4 miles keep slight left on Drift Camp Creek Road. Follow this road for 10.5 windy miles on a paved road.


Now the only problem with that description is the term "windy" to describe the road.  That may be the most massive understatement EVER!  This sign would not even begin to cover this road:
Not only is this road incredibly twisty, there had recently been a storm so the road was filled with debris.  I had to stop a few times and move branches out of the way.  The road is only wide enough for one car at a time, so you do actually have to drive 25 mph so that you will not crash head on into any cars coming the opposite way.  I only ran into one on the way to the trail.  He and I stopped and stared at each other, but since I was the one with the drop off to the side of me and he only had a sissy little ditch... he decided to back up until there was enough room for us to squeak by each other!





When you do arrive at the trail, you'll either need a pass or $5 for the trail fee.  There are vault toilets and a paved parking area.  As I locked up my car, a young woman approached me and wondered if
I had seen her family.  She was quite worried, thinking that they had gotten lost while she was using the restroom.  We walked down the trail a ways and we could hear the sounds of children laughing, loudly.  She relaxed and told me that those were definitely HER children and that she couldn't believe that her husband would take them on the trail and just LEAVE her like that!  Then she asked who I was there with.  When I told her that I was there alone... she became concerned all over again.  "Oh no.  That's not good.  You have to be careful.  Alone... why would you be alone?  Anything could happen and who would help you?  You just have to be careful." etc... etc...  Luckily, at that moment, her family came around the bend and she launched into her husband!  It never fails to amuse me, how people of all ages, genders, etc... are amazed that a women does things by herself.  Of course, I WAS the only solitary person on the trail, male or female.  But why is it that unbelievable?  Anyway... the trail is beautiful.
























The trail runs alongside the creek and it is very peaceful.  No sounds of traffic in the distance, like so many Portland area trails.  It is mostly downward sloping on the way to the falls.  I met a grandmother taking her two grandchildren for the day, so that mom and dad could have some alone-time.  The grandson couldn't wait to show me the little newt in his hand and promptly pouted when grandma pointed out that he'd have to put the newt down soon. The granddaughter was chattering excitedly about the scary bridge that they'd had to cross.  Grandma gave me that "isn't that cute, she thinks it's scary" smile. Yeah well... I'm with the little girl.  I cannot stand heights and that bridge is SCARY!





I tried to take a picture from the bridge itself, but my hands were sweating and shaking... so no go!  Not only is it 100 ft up... the dang thing shakes with every step.
Tell me that that does not look like just the kind of bridge that you get halfway across and you start to hear the TWANG of wires snapping or the CRACK of boards snapping!  There just must be a way to see the falls that doesn't involve risking your life!



 But the falls are pretty.  There's a sloping trail from the end of the bridge down to the bottom of the falls.  There's also a table and benches made from fallen trees, right near the falls' pool.  A perfect spot to eat lunch.  It's a terrific spot to spend some time.









Here's a little taste of how peaceful and refreshing it is here.  You can get right up next to the creek and sit on some of the rocks to relax and watch the falls.




As I was leaving, the silence was broken by wild screaming and the sounds of running.  A few moments later, three young (I'm guessing high school age) boys came flying down the trail, laughing and screaming.  As soon as the one in the lead caught sight of me... he stumbled to a halt and chuckled with embarrassment.  I grinned and laughed out loud ... "Not as alone as you thought, huh?" I said to them.  And then the little bastard said, "No Ma'am, I guess we're not.".  Ma'am!!!  Grrrr!!  But then the other two starting cracking up and they were just so filled with fun and youth... I couldn't help but laugh again and continue on my way.  It was a really nice way to end my day and it's a trail that I highly recommend checking out when you're in the Lincoln City area.

No comments:

Post a Comment